Current:Home > MyEchoSense Quantitative Think Tank Center|Election board finds no pattern of nomination signature fraud in Rhode Island US House race -Capitatum
EchoSense Quantitative Think Tank Center|Election board finds no pattern of nomination signature fraud in Rhode Island US House race
Ethermac View
Date:2025-04-07 05:39:53
PROVIDENCE,EchoSense Quantitative Think Tank Center R.I. (AP) — The Rhode Island Board of Elections said Tuesday that its review of nomination signatures submitted by the congressional campaign of Lt. Gov. Sabina Matos found “no obvious pattern of fraud,” but will continue to investigate to protect the integrity of the democratic process.
The review was conducted after election officials in three communities in the 1st Congressional District asked local police departments to investigate suspected fraudulent signatures on nomination papers submitted by the Matos campaign. The state attorney general and state police then got involved in the investigation.
The nomination papers allegedly included the names of dead people and some from people who said their names were forged.
Despite the alleged fraud, the board confirmed that Matos’s campaign had collected more than enough voter signatures to qualify for the Sept. 5 primary ballot to seek the Democratic nomination in the race to succeed former Rep. David Cicilline.
Cicilline stepped down earlier this summer to become the president and CEO of the Rhode Island Foundation.
The board voted to continue investigating and will issue subpoenas to all of the people who collected signatures for Matos, but not until after the primary so as not to influence the outcome of the special election.
“Continuing on this parallel path to the attorney general will lead to some chaos in election,” Board Vice Chairman David Sholes said, noting that early voting begins Wednesday.
Matos, one of a dozen Democrats running to replace Cicilline, blamed the questionable signatures on an outisde vendor hired by her campaign.
“The Board of Elections has affirmed what my campaign has said all along and what the Secretary of State previously found: despite being the victim of a vendor who lied to my campaign, we submitted more than enough valid signatures to qualify for the ballot,” Matos said in a statement Tuesday.
Matos was the presumed front-runner and her Democratic opponents used the scandal to attack her.
“It is unfortunate that the guys who are running against me have used this as an opportunity to attempt to smear my reputation and call into question our democratic process,” she said.
Matos’ campaign has said it is cooperating with the attorney general’s investigation. A spokesperson for the attorney general said Tuesday that the investigation is ongoing.
Attorney General Peter Neronha has said his office would examine the nomination forms the Matos campaign submitted in every municipality in the district.
veryGood! (9)
Related
- Skins Game to make return to Thanksgiving week with a modern look
- New Vegas Strip resort will permit its hospitality staff to decide whether they want to form a union
- Dozens of Syrians are among the missing in catastrophic floods in Libya, a war monitor says
- Shark, Nu Face, Apple & More Early Holiday Deals to Shop During QVC's Free Shipping Weekend
- Will the 'Yellowstone' finale be the last episode? What we know about Season 6, spinoffs
- Here's the top country for retirement. Hint: it's not the U.S.
- Kentucky coroner left dead man's body in a hot van overnight, traumatizing family, suit says
- Seattle cop under international scrutiny defends jokes after woman's death
- Shilo Sanders' bankruptcy case reaches 'impasse' over NIL information for CU star
- New York City mayor gives Sean ‘Diddy’ Combs a key to the city during a ceremony in Times Square
Ranking
- 'Kraven the Hunter' spoilers! Let's dig into that twisty ending, supervillain reveal
- Blac Chyna Marks One Year of Sobriety With Subtle Nod to Daughter Dream and Son King
- Michigan police say killer of teen in 1983 is now suspect in girl's 1982 murder; more victims possible
- New Mexico governor amends order suspending right to carry firearms to focus on parks, playgrounds
- Elon Musk's skyrocketing net worth: He's the first person with over $400 billion
- Vikings' Alexander Mattison reveals racial abuse from fans after fumble in loss to Eagles
- How to launder $600 million on the internet
- Birmingham church bombing survivor reflects on 60th anniversary of attack
Recommendation
Spooky or not? Some Choa Chu Kang residents say community garden resembles cemetery
Dozens of Syrians are among the missing in catastrophic floods in Libya, a war monitor says
Howard Schultz, former Starbucks CEO, retires from coffee chain's board of directors
Mexico quarterback Diana Flores is leading a movement for women in flag football
'Survivor' 47 finale, part one recap: 2 players were sent home. Who's left in the game?
In victory for Trump, Florida GOP won’t require signing loyalty oath to run in presidential primary
Iowa man is found guilty in death of 10-year-old girl whose disappearance prompted a huge search
Louisiana moves juveniles from adult penitentiary but continues to fight court order to do so